Monday 17 January 2005

reminder - riddle - grammar

How a reminder can turn into a riddle and then a lesson in grammar. . .
>>
Subject: Say happy birthday
From: Carl
To: Everyone

Hello people...

Just thought I'd better email you about something that apparently is important... I've had an email this morning from someone we all know demanding I make people send her a happy birthday message. You'd have thought that 'Happy Birthday' would only count if it was said/written by someone spontaneously, but obviously not. So, just so I'm not the bad guy.....

Ta...

PS - Tony, I think one that's witty, sharp and refers to Buffy will suffice...
>>
From: Drew
To: Everyone

Well I reckon most things that involve Buffy are sharp......like steaks for killing Wampiros....Mmwwahh haaa hhaa ..ahhem.
>>
From: Josephine
To: Everyone

Sssshhhhh Drew Sssshhhhhhh, it'll be ok.........
>>
From: Carl
To: Everyone

I think that's the point though Jo. Drew will never be ok.....
>>
From: Josephine
To: Everyone

God thats awful, i didn't mean to be so flippant- what happened to him to render him in this state? Is there any thing we can do to help, for example if sarah came to the pub tonight - just for one, would that help?
>>
From: Sarah
To: Everyone

Ok, not even going to dignify that blackmail with a comment..and there is no such thing as one
>>
From: Drew
To: Everyone

You want to know how I ended up in this state?? Check this for a question people...
A man pulls up to a Hotel and is instantly Bankrupt....How?
What kind of a brain teaser is that....it doesn't even pose a logical problem......eeeeeehhhhhgggrrrinnn.
>>
From: Josephine
To: Everyone

Nobody bloody tell him what it is - you cheeky F*%k#r Drew!!!!!
>>
From: Drew
To: Everyone

It's a stupid f''###in question!
>>
From: Josephine
To: Everyone

It has a logical F*+###in answer.

I'm not going to fight with you about this!
>>
From: Earth Girl
To: Everyone

Did he take a Black Cab and the not do a runner when they got to the hotel and therefor bankrupting himself by paying the exrbitant cab fare?
>>
From: Carl
To: Everyone

NO! He's playing Monopoly! God damn Mayfair, gets me everytime.....
>>
From: Carl
To: Everyone

Apparently, this is an evil question Jo set Drew and she's enjoying watching his brow getting more and more furrowed, so I have to tell you all don't tell Drew the answer...! How wrong is that?

PS - she even got to his computer before he did and deleted my email!!!
>>
From: Tony
To: Everyone

He's grammatically bankrupt. It should be "an hotel".
>>
From: Drew
To: Everyone

See I told you it was a stupid question. If it was written correctly 'an hotel' I would have got it straight away!
By the way everyone Jo just ran to my computer to delete Carl's answer before I could read it..Not only is that very naughty it is also illegal so I have complained to personnel!
Ha

>>
From: Earth Girl
To: Everyone

I never got that, surely 'an' is only used before a word starting with a vowel? why is 'H' the exception ?
>>
From: Tony
To: Everyone

Well, this debate has raged for decades. I (still) believe "An" is supposed to go before words beginning with an "H", although these days people only (lazily) use it when the word starts with what has (lazily) become a "silent" "H", like "hour", "honour" etc.

Yours,

Prof Pointdexter the Pedant

>>
From: Josephine
To: Everyone

"by the way everyone, my name's Drew and i tell tales and snitch on people to personnel...."

No comments:

Post a Comment