Tuesday 2 May 2006

Sharing rental cars with total strangers

Any minute now it'll move. It'll hop out of the way any second now. Fuck, we're gonna hit it!!!

I glanced over at the Canadian guy in the drivers seat of our rental car. He had his foot down on the brake pedal as far as it would go and held the steering wheel in a death grip. I looked back out of the windscreen at the Kangaroo sitting on the road straight in front of us, seemingly oblivious to the car hurtling towards it at 100kmph.

We screeched to a halt. I lost sight of the Roo under the bonnet. Fuck we've killed it! A tail flicked out into the road and the disappeared. Shit its not dead, we're gonna have to whack it in the head with a tyre iron to finish it off, shit. A head bobbed up and down in front of the bonnet as the stupid animal turned around and then bounced towards the undergrowth at the side of the road.

I looked at Canadian Guy, he looked at me, we both breathed a sigh of relief.
"Fuck, I thought for sure we'd hit it".
"Me too. We can't have missed it by more than an inch."
"Probably less.....Shit"
"Drive slower, I don't want to have to go through that again"
"Yeah, I guess all those warnings about driving after dusk aren't just bull shit, eh!"

No comments:

Post a Comment